In addition to buying a washing machine of a good brand that is pleasing and pleasing to people who use it, another huge problem for housekeepers is the inability to decide between a front-loading washing machine and a top-loading washing machine which is best. Today, HomeGuru will answer the question of front load vs. top load washer, which one is good to use, save water, clean laundry, answer your home the most. Including the advantages – disadvantages of both types of washing machines, easily summarized in this article!!
The difference between front-loading and top-loading washing machines is the tank’s appearance and functionality, the water, and electricity consumption.
1. Top-loading washing machine
2. Front-loading washing machine
3. The different between front-loading washing machine vs top-loading washing machine
4. Pros – Cons of both types of washing machines
5. Tips for choosing a washing machine based on family size
Top-loading washing machine
The top-loading washing machine was the first washing machine to be used before front-loading washing machines by the method of use, the clothes are put from the top, the body is upright, the top-loading washing machine can be divided into 2 types:
1. Top-loading washing machine double tank
It is a semi-automatic washing machine with 2 tanks in the same machine, a washer drum, and a spin drum. The feature is that the drum is rotated from top to bottom, making it easy for wrinkled fabrics to get tangled. And when washing is finished, the clothes must be moved to the spin drum itself, which if the clothes are not aligned properly, the machine will vibrate and make noise, only need to place new clothes to continue working. The twin tub washing machines are relatively inexpensive but can be used for both washing and spinning simultaneously.
2. Top-loading washing machine single tank
It is considered an automatic washing machine, that is, washing and spinning in the same tub. The body is cylindrical in shape made of stainless steel. Its feature is an alternating rotation so that the laundry hits the spindle for quick removal of dirt. But the user should clearly separate the types of fabrics. Otherwise, it may become entangled with the spindle and cause damage or deformation.
Front-loading washing machine
It is trendy nowadays, especially at the laundromat and 24-hour laundry service. The body is similar to a top-loading washing machine, but the lid is changed from top to front. The rotation of the hull uses alternating ratchet or horizontal swivels to keep the fabric parallel to the floor. There is a washing spindle that lifts the clothes up and throws them down. It is a washing machine that can choose to wash both hot and cold water. The system of use helps preserve the fabric well, and there is no problem of tangled clothes, so the clothes will not crease after drying like a top-loading washing machine.
The different between front-loading washing machine vs top-loading washing machine
1. Cleaning ability
Compared to the washing capacity, the top-loading washing machine has a limitation that cannot wash the stains completely 100%. The spin power is clearly less than a front-loading washing machine because it uses a spinning method by rotating the impeller from the bottom, alternating left and right.
At the same time, the front-loading washing machine can wash both hot and cold water. Therefore, it can kill bacteria directly. The clothes are cleaner, the efficiency of the laundry is moderately better.
2. Operating time
On average, a front-loading washing machine takes 30 minutes to 1 hour longer than a top-loading washing machine. Therefore, if a house has many members with a lot of laundries that need to be washed at a time, it may take more time than if using a front-loading washing machine because it has to be washed several times.
3. Fabric care
The main difference between front load vs. top load washers is the preservation of the fabric. The front-loading washing machine can do better. By rotating horizontally alternately, there is friction between the fabric, water flows through the material well. Preserving the fabric is, therefore, better to keep the fabric lint-free and not to clump.
For the spin between the front-load vs. top load washer, the top-load washer operates better than most, and the laundry dries faster. While the front cover will still be damp, especially if during the rainy season may be used with a clothes dryer to prevent the fabric from a musty smell.
Another difference between the two types of washing machines is the noise. As HomeGuru previously explained, the top-loading washing machine works by spinning the clothes from the bottom. Especially if using a double tank as well. The noise is quite clear. While front-loading washing machines have a quieter operating sound, they work with a gentle wash. Therefore, if measuring performance and noise, the front cover is clearly well made.
Pros – Cons of both types of washing machines
1. Front-loading washing machine
- Save more water than a top-loading washing machine.
- More energy saving.
- Wash your clothes clean.
- The fabric is less creased and does not clump.
- Can be used for both hot and cold water, good elimination of bacteria.
- The price is relatively high because there are many functions to choose from.
- Takes more space because the front cover needs to be opened.
- It clearly takes longer to wash from 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Small load capacity may not be suitable for homes with large loads.
- The waterproof rubber edge on the door of the machine often has black mold problems.
- If the spin function is used, the sound will be louder than usual but not the same as the top-loading machine.
2. Top-loading washing machine
- The price is relatively low.
- It takes up less space to use because it opens from the top.
- Takes less time to work.
- Large capacity meets the needs of large houses with large quantities of fabrics.
- Spin dries quickly.
- Uses more water than a front-loading type for washing.
- Consume more power (except those that use Inverter system)
- Removes fewer stains.
- The fabric is very wrinkled after washing because the mode of use does not take care of the fabric, causing the fabric to become tangled.
Tips for choosing a washing machine based on family size
Choosing a washing machine for family use measures the number of household members and the amount of laundry that needs to be washed, including how much frequency to help choose the suitable washing machine without wasting too much water and electricity without reason.
In which HomeGuru will recommend a washing machine about how much capacity you should buy, roughly:
- 2 – 3 people, tank capacity 6 – 8 kg.
- 4 – 5 people, washing tank capacity 8 – 11 kg.
- 6 people or more, the capacity should be more than 11 kg.
You should also check the area where the washing machine is installed and where to use it. Some houses installed it in front of the bathroom, some installed it outside the house close to the drying area. However, do not forget that a front-loading washing machine should be used in an area of sufficient width because the washing machine will take up more space than the top-loading type. There must be space for opening and closing the cover.